Architect, Landscape Architect, Urban Designer, Land Use Planner, Environmental Observer

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Designing the Mundane -

Sometimes architects are asked to design very mundane things. Many don't have the time or will. For me, it's a good challenge.



A few years ago, a friend asked me to design a carport. Now, you don't need an architect with twenty five years experience to do that. I told her sure - but I would really work to make it interesting and more than mundane. If when she saw it, she didn't like it... I would understand.

Agreed, she said.


What I thought of was a "covered bridge" type of structure. A simple shed roof and "walls" made of 4x4's that were bolted together with strap connections to form a large truss.

She liked it, but of course the contractor talked her out of it. Ah well.

. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Recommended Books

  • - Precedents in Architecture
  • - City Comforts
  • - A Pattern Language
  • - The Architecture of Happiness
  • - Architectural Composition
  • - Design Language
  • - Elements of Garden Design
  • - Chambers for a Memory Palace